Download Project Document/Synopsis
Bicycles are the still a very economical and healthy means of transportation today. The use of bicycles has been increased in the wake of COVID pandemic with people becoming more health conscious as well as environmentally aware. Well with the increase in adaption of bicycles, so we have seen an increase in the number of bicycle accidents.
There major reasons behind the increased number of bicycle accidents includes:
- Unlike other vehicles bicycles rarely have any back lights which makes them impossible to see at night.
- Bicycles do not have brake lights to indicate if rider is braking.
- Bicycles do not have indicator lights for turning indications.
Well here we solve this problem with an advanced system that makes use of sensor, microcontroller and wireless communication to avoid bicycle accidents.
The system will provide following advantages:
- Back Lights to be seen even in Dark
- Automatic Brake Lights when Bicycles applies a brake
- Gesture based Gloves for Button less Operation
- 2 X Brake Lights Attachment for the Bicycle
- Wireless Communication Between Gloves and Lights
- Battery Powered Lightweight System
The system consists of 2 key components, the gesture control glove to be worn by user and a indictor unit to be mounted below the seat of bicycle. The 2 nits wirelessly communicate with each other to achieve the desired output.
The Glove unit consists of a accelerometer sensor, rf transmitter which are controlled by an Arduino pro mini. The glove unit is powered by a battery. The glove controller receives tilt commands from the accelerometer sensor when user tilts hand in a direction. This command is processed and transmitted by the rf transmitter to the receiver system as per the direction of tilt. Also when the user brakes the braking motion is captured by the flex sensor and transmitted by the rf transmitter wirelessly.
The indicator unit is also a battery powered unit integrated with an atmega controller and rf receiver. When the rf receiver receives a command it is processed first by the atmega controller. The controller decodes the command and checks if it is a braking command or direction indication. If it is a direction indication it glows the respective light and if it is a braking command it glows both the back lights together. Thus the system provides a safe and comfortable bicycle indicator system
- Hardware Specifications
- Arduino Pro Mini
- Atmega 328 Controller
- Accelerometer Sensor
- Flex Sensor
- RF Modules
- LED Lights
- Bicycle Mounts
- Power Port & DC power Adapter
- Resistors Capacitors
- Diodes & transistors
- Buttons & Switches
- Electrical & Wirings
- PCB Board
- Base frame
- Supporting Rods
- Screws and Fittings
- Software Specifications
- Programming Language: Embedded C