Download Project Document/Synopsis
Vehicle headlights are a key part of a vehicle that serve the purpose of lighting up the road ahead of the vehicle. While there have been several modifications in smart cars, the headlights have not seen much technological changes.
The problems with headlights is
- Sometimes users forget to switch on the lights before starting the car at night, which can lead to accidents.
- At times users forget to turn off headlights during day time consuming unnecessary battery.
- Also users sometime forget to turn off headlight before leaving car which drains the entire car battery.
- Vehicle headlights usually glow at full intensity then turned on consuming max power.
Well we here develop smart vehicle headlights that not just start automatically as soon as sun goes down but also adjusts light intensity as per required brightness to save power.
This system provides the following advantages
- No manual switching on/off lights
- Lights operated as per outer intensity to save power
- Lights turned off automatically if engine is off but lights on for over 5 minutes
The system makes use of a light sensor, ignition key, LED panel (to demonstrate led panel headlight) all controller by an STM 32 based controller to achieve the desired output.
User first needs to start the ignition to start the system. On ignition start the system starts up and the controller monitors the light sensor to monitor environmental light conditions. If the lighting is below certain threshold, the system starts the LED panel.
Once started the system continuously monitors the external lighting level and adjusts the brightness of led panel using mosfet driver to glow LED’s at enough intensity so as to achieve desired illumination while saving unnecessary energy.
The controller automatically turns off the headlights as soon as external lighting conditions improve and lighting improves above certain threshold. The controller automatically handles lighting as per environmental conditions as long as ignition is on. When the ignition is turned off, the controller waits for 5 minutes and automatically turns off the headlights to avoid battery drain, in case user forgot to turn them off.
- STM 32 Controller
- Light Sensor
- Ignition Sensor
- LED Matrix
- Mosfet Driver
- Push Buttons
- PCB Board
- Cables and Connectors