A drastic increase can be seen in food waste. As per data given by Food and Agriculture Organization (http://www.fao.org/food-loss-and-food-waste/flw-data), 1/3rd of food produced for human consumption is wasted globally, which accounts for almost 1.3 billion tons per year. On the other hand, also as per WHO 20% of the population face extreme food shortages. Hence there is a need to come up with a solution that can avoid food waste & can help feed the needy.
This android-based Food Waste Management system can assist in collecting the leftover food from hotels & restaurants to distribute among those in need. NGOs that are helping poor communities to battle against starvation & malnutrition can raise a request for food supply from restaurants through this application. Once the request is accepted, the NGOs can collect the food from the restaurants for its distribution. In this way this android-based food waste management system will help restaurants to reduce food waste and will help in feeding the poor and needy people.
In this system, we have tried to reduce restaurant food wastage by giving waste food to NGOs. NGOs will raise a request, in case of any leftover food restaurants have. This request is sent to the restaurant manager of that particular restaurant. The NGO Manager then approves the request and assigns it to one of the NGO employees for takeaway and forwards the request to the restaurant. The leftover food at the restaurant can be given to NGOs at the end of the day. The admin can track the history of restaurants and NGOs for the leftover foods.
- Benefits will be both the restaurant (reducing food wastage), and the needy
- Keep track of wastage food for restaurant
- User can play role in saving food wastage and help the needy
- Wrong inputs will affect the project outputs.
- Internet Connection is mandatory
- The android mobile user will not be able to insert or view details if the server goes down. Thus, there is disadvantage of single point failure.